The following principles have been formulated to provide focus and guidance in the implementation of USPF Programs and Projects:
- Co-location/Infrastructure Sharing: It shall be obligatory for operators/service providers to share all infrastructure supported by the USPF with other operators/service providers at reasonable prices, in line with the USPF’s guiding principles of Accessibility, Affordability and Availability.
- Social Inclusion: All USPF projects shall be designed and implemented in a manner which ensures equitable and sustainable access to ICT services by vulnerable groups and disadvantaged interests i.e. the elderly, physically challenged, women and children in the community.
- Geographic Coverage: USPF programmes and projects shall be developed in all states of the federation in order to provide ICT access and connectivity to unserved, underserved areas, communities and groups.
- Promote Private Sector Investment: USPF programmes and projects shall stimulate increased private sector investments in un-served and underserved areas.
- Encourage Competition: USPF programmes and projects will encourage competition as much as possible, between operators by using transparent and competitive mechanisms to allocate USPF financing and subsidies.
- Promote Consumer Interest: USPF programmes and projects will promote consumer interest by facilitating access to affordable, readily available and reliable ICT services.
- Sustainability: USPF will give priority to programmes and projects that are self-sustaining and do not require subsidies on a continuous basis.
- Foster Economic and Social Development: USPF programmes and projects will stimulate productive use of ICTs for economic, social and cultural development.
- Consultation, Transparency and Accountability: USPF will develop and periodically update its programmes and projects through continuous public consultations with key stakeholders.
- Quality of Service: USPF will enforce compliance with quality of service standards with respect to its projects.
- Technology Neutrality: USPF programmes and projects will be guided by the principle of technology neutrality and allow the market to define the best technology solutions.